Friday 26 October 2007

Turkeys and Christmas


Straight from the "turkeys voting for Christmas" category come the latest comments from Labour peer and MSP George Foulkes in the House of Lords on 15th October 2007:

"Lord Foulkes of Cumnock: My Lords, I thank my noble friend for not giving a birthday present to the noble Baroness. I tell my noble friend, the noble Baroness and her colleagues that the introduction of proportional representation in Scotland has been an absolute tragedy. We have seen chaos, confusion and cuts. At local government level, we see the Liberal Democrats in an unholy alliance with the Scottish National Party. Will my noble friend assure us that, because of this experience, we will stick to the tried and tested system of first past the post, which has given us stability in this country for decades and centuries?"

Hang on wasn't our George elected to the Scottish Parliament as a Regional List MSP ... using a form of proportional representation? Obviously not a personal "tragedy" for our George then.

No comments: