Friday 9 May 2008

European-itis.


Mr Smith is worried about former Labour MP and General Secretary of NATO Lord Robertson of Port Ellon. Commenting in the House of Lords on Tuesday, "I think that I am about to die. It is said that before an individual dies, their whole life flashes before their eyes. I have that sense now. For 11 of the 18 years we spent in opposition, I was Front-Bench Opposition spokesman for foreign affairs. The noble Lord, Lord Howell, and I used to parade around television and radio studios talking to diminishing audiences about the intricacies of European legislation. I therefore feel back home again in this desert of European-itis, hearing almost exactly the same arguments."

Mr Smith hopes Lord Robertson's health is better than he seems to think it is and Mr Smith thinks that talking about Europe, even for eleven years, really isn't on the same level as death. Death is a bit more conclusive and far more irreversible.

No comments: