Monday 20 August 2007

George: Wendy was my babysitter.


Mr Smith was interested in the disclosures in the Daily Record by former Scottish Labour MP George Galloway that future Scottish Labour Leader Wendy Alexander MSP used to work as his political researcher ... and babysitter.

He says "... Wendy Alexander was crucial to my victory over the late Roy Jenkins in Glasgow Hillhead more than 20 years ago. Though still a student, she took charge of my election HQ, proving a brilliant organiser and motivator, and even found time to baby sit my five-year-old daughter. I appointed her my first parliamentary researcher. She's clever and a decent soul. But she can be otherworldly to the point that she is life, Jim, but not as we know it. Long after mobile phones were proliferating across the land, I saw her lovingly handling one belonging to the brother of one of her own MSPs. "That's amazing," said the would-be First Minister. "But where do you put the money in?" "

At least Wendy seems to have gotten the hang of mobile phones, but she might be a bit embarassed by her close association with MP George Galloway, given his record as a thorn in the People Party's side.

No comments: