Saturday 4 August 2007

Stalin's granny.


Mr Smith was sorry to read of the decision of Labour MP Rosemary McKenna not to stand at the next General Election. Her comment that "I'll miss being at the heart of decision-making but I promised myself I would not be one of those people shuffling about the place in my 70s," gave an interesting insight into the mind of the 66 year-old Blair loyalist grandmother. But the valedictory tone of the article shouldn't hide the fact that for many years Mrs McKenna had the nickname "Stalin's Granny" amongst members of the Scottish labour movement, because she was someone you didn't really want to get on the wrong side of.

So, no seat in the House of Lords for Rosemary but Mr Smith suspects we haven't seen the last of this grand old dame of Scottish Labour politics.

No comments: